Tuesday, July 29, 2014

And so it begins...

The new chapter in my life... blogging.


Over a year ago, I was YouTube searching, learning how to spin yarn. Yes, yarn. As soon as I learned to knit, I was so interested in learning to make my own yarn. It was a hobby that took over in an instant, but never stuck. (YouTube comes in handy with just about any "How-to's" and "DIY's.")


While searching How-to videos, I somehow came across Kristina Werner's channel. I was so amazed with her work that I binged watched almost all her videos in one day! From then on, I was on a search to find all card makers on YouTube.


After months of watching people making cards, learning techniques, and getting inspired, I finally decided to make some myself. Of course, the first few tries are more for trial and error. I remember my very first card took me over 2 hours (of meticulously stamping, coloring, and gluing everything very ocd-like) and my arms were exhausted.


I don't have any of my first takes pictured, but I do have some to share from months after trying. The following cards were created back in January '14.





This was intended to be a birthday card, but it never made it to the mailbox. (Uh-Oh) Nonetheless, I had a great time making it.


I've always wanted the "Say Cheese" stamp set and coordinating dies by Lawn Fawn. Since I didn't have that in my stash yet, I decided to cut my own polaroid out instead. I used a variety of copics to color in majority of my image. Then paper pieced her outfit, as well as the headband. The headband was coated with a layer of glossy accents and I was actually able to pop the cake up. I thought having the cake on the outside of the polaroid was an excellent added touch. My frame was matted with a 4"x5.25" patterned paper, then placed on a 4.25"x5.5" top folding card. Voila!


I was so excited when I completed this card! It was definitely one of my better attempts to handmade cards. ;)





I made this card, and the one below using my very first SSS Card Kit! When the package arrived, I started crafting right away! And my daughter didn't waste any time either.


Honestly, I had no plans or sketch. I just knew I was going to use this corky guy. I used Kristina Werner's technique to stamp the balloon image on the back of the patterned paper and went from there.


My background is distress ink smooshed onto watercolor paper. I did it multiple times for texture and layers. Then I added a very uneven frame around it, about 1/4" in. I used this to completely cover my A2 card base. The clouds were a last minute thought because I thought the card needed it to show my guy floating in the sky. I like how they are laid on top of my line frame. It made for instant depth and dimension.





This card is a larger one. I believe 5"x7". I had a little idea where I wanted this card to go. The only thing planned was my main image, cut into four squares.


First, I stamped the little character and the balloons. Then I covered them with post it's for masking.  I also decided to mask of some clouds for the sky. After everything was masked off, I not so carefully sponged on some distress ink. (Then, I was still getting used to using the blending tool. But I did like the final look)


I colored the little guy with copics. And for whatever reason, I was not having the best of luck with it. It's such a small image. If I remember correctly, I only had two orange markers and the darkest one wasn't dark enough for shade.

To keep the background simple, I just added ink splatters with iced spruce.  The sentiment was from TGF Lovey Dovey. 

I hope you enjoyed my card share for the day. 

Thank you for stopping by my blog! Check back soon for a new card share!

No comments:

Post a Comment