Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Like mother like daughter.

This past weekend was quite the adventure for myself and the kids.  We went to five different cities within two days, and drove through too many to count.


Our first stop, on Saturday was to my parents house. My cousin's son was having a birthday at an amazing jump house. It was a day filled with family and laughter! (Along with a bit of tantrums from the grandbabies - mostly my son)


Then comes Sunday.  Our most eventful day. The day we drove to many cities and hours in traffic.  Majority of my west coast family were getting together for more birthday celebrations.  It truly was a great day, even if it was full of traffic.

BUT, before all the fun happened, I had a chance to sit down and make a last minute bday card. My daughter sat down and made one with me, too.


So here's how the card making all began... well, it really just sort of happened. I've never made a bday card for a boy before so I was already struggling to omit pinks and purples and glitter.

The only thing I planned was paper piecing the pair of shoes and using the "Boy, n. noise with dirt on it" sentiment from the SSS All Boy set.  The rest of the card randomly came together while I was on the phone with my mom. I flipped through my collection of 3"x4" PL journaling cards four to five times before settling on this lined herringbone pattern, which I placed on top of a patterned paper from the "Fancy Pants" pack. It had a decorative frame all around, but I cut it off. Maybe I can use it on another project. I embossed a row of dots in with navy embossing powder on some scrap teal vellum. And the sentiment is embossed in navy as well on a scrap of cotton paper. The fishtail banners were die cut using a die from Lifestyle Craft rectangle box die set. I ended up trimming them down to size.

The shoes was the best part of the card. I had so much fun making them! They are half watercolored, and half paper pieced. I also splattered some brown to them when I was done gluing the shoes together. The finishing touch, I ended up popping my shoes up on dimensionals.








As for my daughter, she wanted to play with the new SSS August Kit. She stamped out multiple ice cream images, and colored them in with her own watercolor pencils. (She keeps forgetting she can use water with them.) She chose a few 3"x4" journaling cards from the Kraft kit and layered them together. She even glued the ice cream at an angle like that all by herself. Literally, the only thing I did was cut the images out for her.

I hope you enjoyed the card shares! Most items used are listed below. The rest may either be discontinued or out of stock.  

No comments:

Post a Comment